Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 6

Today's Adventure: A ton of stuff



Well! Blog's back! Sorry about yesterday, I was just have a plain old boring as heck day with no interaction with anyone aside from my mom. So I just kind of sat around, and did nothing. Bright side is, today was SO much better! :D

Well day started off with me trying to get my learner's permit. So we scurried on down to the DMV only to find out that, uh-oh!, we need to actually enroll in a driving school first. So unfortunately that meant that today's adventure was NOT going to be driving. ):

But my uncle came up to see my mom and I and we went out to eat. I had some good food n such, yadda yadda yadda. After that, I had a dentist appointment, and I got my teeth cleaned and stuff. Normal dentist stuff.

Basically the day was rather full and eventful. But... looking back there's something I realized. That amidst all of the things I did today, I think simply resting and enjoying the comfort God has to offer was the real adventure today. I feel like resting can both be amazing and annoying as heck, depending on the day. Like yesterday, resting around was annoying as heck to me, and above all else, I wanted to just go out and DO something. But on days like these where you do a lot, I feel like rest can be the best part about it, if that makes any sense. As God put in place Shabbat, he's also separated work from rest. Both very different from one another, and a balance between the two is definitely needed. How can you work without resting? You'll overheat. How can you rest without working? You'll never get anything done! God's gift of rest is an amazing one, which I call Shabbat (or Shabbos land for all you camp folks). Shabbat doesn't need to be a day, or even a Saturday or Sunday for that matter. Shabbat (or rest) is a state of being, a rest that ALL people may enter.

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.

   For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."
-Hebrews 4:9-13


(The second half of that quote had little to do with the topic, I just LOVE that part, and think its significant nonetheless)

If you're a part of the Church, you know how much we're all pushed to be led by the Spirit to do great things for Christ, but I can't stress enough that resting is vital. As much as most of us laugh at the term "resting in the spirit", I believe there is some truth to that. Don't misunderstand resting as being weak, or not living up to the call. God CALLS us to rest. Or at least, that's my opinion. Food for thought.

Much Love,
Sean


No comments:

Post a Comment